Te Punanga o te reo Kuki Airani
The Punanga o te reo Kuki Airani Inc was established in 1984. The first pacific island early childhood education service to be established in Aotearoa. Mere ‘Tepaeru’ Tereora the founder of our organisation realised that our language and culture was deteriorating, as families and friends were coming into New Zealand there was no knowledge of childcare and parents at the time were unable to afford childcare for their fast growing families.
The centre was to encourage Cook Island families into early childhood education, she also encouraged Cook Island families into networking so that they didn’t feel alone in New Zealand.
The children’s voice and individual strengths and interests lie at the heart of our philosophy. We promote Cook Island language and culture to encourage the positive identity of children. We believe in the value of free play for a significant part of the day, children learn through play. We provide an environment where children can engage in exploration to extend their learning and development.
- We believe that the language and dialects of Te Reo Kuki Airani are a foreground for our practices and policies
- We welcome all children and their families regardless of their gender, culture or ethnicity
- We believe in children’s rights, therefore we will plan to offer children realistic choices
- We believe that children need to develop a sense of trust in order to learn effectively
- We believe in learning through play and incorporate a holistic approach to programme planning which caters for individual needs and is developmentally appropriate
- We believe in the importance of promoting children’s self esteem and provide a safe and secure environment.
The Centre is established in a house creating a similar atmosphere to a family home. Our environment links our indoor and outside play areas. This enables us to provide a wide range of learning experiences. All teachers are committed in providing quality care and education for all children. We aim to provide a balance of education, care and nurturing to ensure the needs of the whole child are met.